Welcome Friends

Welcome to our preparation blog!

We have decided to take five weeks this spring to walk the ancient pilgrimage route, the Camino de Santiago. We would love your wisdom, encouragement, good wishes, and blessings as we prepare mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually for this time.

We will periodically add notes and lists and questions and things to this site. Perhaps you will do the same. Here's hoping!

Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Pilgrim Prayer


One of the unexpected blessings of our preparations for this pilgrimage and the creation of this blog is that we have joined an international network of fellow pilgrims who generously offer wisdom and mutual support from around the world.
Earlier this week, Sil from South Africa posted a comment on my April 14 post ("dianie brownielocks and the four pairs"), offering to share "things to know" in preparation for the Camino Frances. We corresponded by email through the week, and along with many encouraging and kind words, Sil sent files with "things to know", "how much should I budget and how to best take money", a "backpack list" and a list of key spanish phrases for pilgrims on the Camino.

Her final note said:
"Don't have too many expectations, just take each day as it comes, love everything - the dust, the stony paths, the medieval villages, the grumpy shopkeepers, the touro-grinos who arrive in busses, the kind hospitaleros and the surly hospitaleros, the mud in Galicia mixed with cowshit, the good food, the dreadful food - take it all as it comes! And then you get home it is quite normal to want to send half the contents of your closets to the homeless!
Oh - and yes, you will suffer the PPB's (the Post Pilgrimage Blues) and the only cure is to do another long walk!
Big pilgrim hugs!
Sil
(check out her blog at http://amawalker.blogspot.com/)

So, inspired by this kindness from Sil, and because we want to walk with positive intention, we've created this prayer that we'll say as we begin each day. You're welcome to join us.
May I love this day and all that it brings
The dust, stones or mud beneath my feet
The air I breathe, food I eat, water I drink

May I open my heart to mysteries along the way
Greet fellow pilgrims with welcome and grace
Move lightly and simply through the day

May I give thanks for the Earth, our fragile home
For all my relations who have gone before me
And for all who will follow ... I am not alone

May the spirit and blessing of the One who is love
- Holy One among us, all around us, and within us -
Be with me today, and surround me with love

1 comment:

  1. Lovely, lovely prayer!
    And remember the Servant Song:
    by: Richard Gillard

    We are pilgrims on a journey,
    We are travelers on the road;
    We are here to help each other
    Walk the mile and bear the load.

    I will weep when you are weeping;
    When you laugh I'll laugh with you.
    I will share your joy and sorrow
    'Til we've seen this journey through.

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete